Roland SCC-1 sulking now I'm using AWE32
rpgs rock dvds
2008-05-26 10:25:48 UTC
Problem summary = Roland SCC-1 does not cause any errors as such -
it's just silent now I have inserted an AWE32.

3 ISA slots details =

Roland SCC-1 ~ IRQ=3, I/O=330. Works fine if AWE32 is not present,
otherwise it's silent. (Occasionally it will emit very incorrect
sounds.)

GUS Classic ~ IRQ=7 and also 7 for SB MIDI emulation (which I don't
use), I/O=240, DMA=3 (playback) and 3 (recording). Usually works fine
with all other soundcards, very occasionally goes silent.

Creative AWE32 ~ IRQ=5, I/O=220 and 300 (disabled MSEL jumper to avoid
using 330 which would clash with Roland SCC-1), 620 (awe effects),
DMA=1 and 5. I also disabled the joystick and MPU-401 jumpers hoping
that would help matters.) Works fine with all other soundcards.

Please note all 3 cards are non-PnP.

Thanks very much for any assistance, Best regards, Robert.
rpgs rock dvds
2008-05-26 14:47:12 UTC
Post by rpgs rock dvds
[...]
Just to update this situation:

If I remove the AWE32, and replace it with a legacy SB16, *everything*
works. (ie, I get the Roland SCC-1 working fine, and the SB16 also
works fine too. Plus the GUS works as well!)

The legacy SB16 has the MSEL jumper set to open which means the midi
address = 300 and not 330. The SB Diagnose utility accepts this value
OK no problems.

However, if I insert the AWE32 card back in the PC (with the MSEL
jumper also set to open, which means the midi address is 300 and not
330), and then run the Diagnose utility, Diagnose reports a problem
and will not accept 300 as a valid midi address. Strangely it accepts
330, even though the MSEL midi jumper is set to open which is 300.

Regards, Robert.
rpgs rock dvds
2008-05-26 17:55:30 UTC
Post by rpgs rock dvds
Post by rpgs rock dvds
[...]
Regards, Robert.- Hide quoted text -
Problem solved!! This is what is needed to be done (in case anyone
else needs this information) -

If you are using soundblaster awe32 model ct2760 revision 3 card (must
be this card model and revision number, no other card or model
applies!), then do the following -

Get 2760r3cd.exe from here -

http://ftp4.de.freesbie.org/pub/misc/creative/creative/drivers/sb16awe/

Look at your card and find jumper J1 (which is labelled EEPROM) - it's
in the bottom left hand corner, next to jumper J2 (which is labelled
MSEL.)

Close this J1 jumper, so it's enabled/covered. (Also, open/uncover
the J2 jumper right next to it which is labelled MSEL in order to get
midi port address to be 300 and not 330.)

Extract the files inside 2760r3cd.exe to your soundblaster subfolder
(such as c:\sb16). (To extract the files simply run the .exe)

Then run setcard.exe This will allow you to configure your midi
address from the default 330 to 300.

Follow the extremely easy instructions on screen to set your midi base
address to be 300.

Then turn off your machine (it tells you to do this next.)

Uncover jumper J1 again (which is labelled EEPROM).

Turn on your machine. That's it, all done. Your card has been
reprogrammed to allow your midi port address to be 300 and not 330.

Best regards from Robert.